- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Mix together all crisp topping ingredients, except butter, in a bowl.
- Add softened butter and blend until mixture has a grainy texture. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine all the apple filling ingredients.
- Transfer apple mixture to a 21 x 21-cm (8 x 8-in.) baking dish. Top with reserved crisp topping.
- Bake in centre of oven for 40 minutes and serve.
Unlike McIntosh apples which are perfect in apple sauce because they soften considerably, Cortland apples retain their shape when cooked.
A blend of these two varieties will produce the perfect apple crisp!