- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the beer, eggs, butter, orange zest, orange juice, and vanilla. Incorporate the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients until batter is just moistened. Add the apples.
- Heat a large saucepan filled with 5 cm (2 in.) of oil until an instant read thermometer reads 190°C (375°F).
- Carefully drop heaping tablespoons (15 mL) of batter into hot oil. Fry a few balls at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Using tongs, carefully remove donuts from oil, place on paper towel to drain, and dust with icing sugar.
- Serve donuts warm, topped with French vanilla ice cream.
Crunchy and sweet, Cortland apples retain their shape when cooked and give excellent results.