This recipe is courtesy of Smucker’s.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Fill a roasting pan half full of water. Place in oven to heat up while making flan.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add apples and cinnamon. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until apples are tender. Set aside.
- Stir sugar and water together in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. When sugar is dissolved, stop stirring and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until mixture turns to caramel. When sugar is a deep golden colour, pour into a 23 cm x 13 cm (9 in. x 5 in) loaf pan. Tilt pan to completely coat the bottom of the pan with caramel. Place reserved apples on top.
- Whisk evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Strain mixture into a mixing bowl, then pour strained mixture into loaf pan. Apples will float to top.
- Place loaf pan in roasting pan of hot water. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until custard is set.
- Cool, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until completely cold. To unmold, run a knife around edge of pan. Carefully invert on a serving plate with edges.