Artichokes with French vinaigrette
To prepare artichokes:
- Break stem off each artichoke. Do not cut, since hard fibres attached to the stem will
- not come off. Cut bottom off artichokes and remove tough, fibrous leaves at the base. Make an X-shaped cut at the base of each artichoke to help it cook.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the top third off each artichoke. Trim the thorny tips off remaining leaves with scissors. Rub cut areas with a lemon half to prevent them from darkening.
- Scoop out fuzzy choke in the centre of each artichoke with a small spoon or a melon baller, being careful not to damage the remainder. Sprinkle with lemon juice and push leaves back in place.
- Cook artichokes in a saucepan of boiling salted water for 20 to 30 minutes, or until tender.
- Test doneness by pricking with a fork. The leaves should pull off easily when done.
- Drain and reserve.
- Mix mustard, vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper and herbes de Provence in a bowl.
- Gradually add in oil in small quantities, beating with a fork.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To eat artichoke, pull off each leaf and dip into vinaigrette. Draw leaf through teeth to scrape off the soft part.
- Eat the artichoke heart and vinaigrette with a knife and fork.