- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add orange juice, cumin, coriander and hot pepper flakes. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until reduced by one quarter. Remove saucepan from heat and let mixture cool.
- Stir in chili sauce, vinegar and mango. Season with salt to taste. Let rest for 1 hour. Meanwhile, break the stems off artichokes. On a work surface, use a sharp knife to cut the artichoke bases and remove the outer leaves. Cut an X into each base to facilitate cooking.
- Remove the top third from the artichokes. With scissors, snip off the tips of the leaves, which can be thorny. Rub artichokes with lemon. Remove chokes from the centres using a small spoon.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and close leaves around cores. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook artichokes for 20 to 30 minutes, or until centre leaves are tender.
- To prevent artichokes from blackening, keep them completely submerged in the water during cooking. Drain and reserve.
- Serve artichokes with mojo sauce.
Tip: To eat artichokes, pull off leaves one at a time and dip into sauce. Scrape off the soft pulp between teeth and then eat the artichoke heart with a knife and fork.