Aspic of Quebec Milk-Fed Veal with summer vegetables
- Select a Quebec Milk-Fed Veal loin weighing about 500 g (1 lb). Place in a shallow ovenproof dish and season with pepper. Insert a meat thermometer in the centre of the loin. Cook, uncovered, at 350°F (180°C) for 1 hour, or until the thermometer reads 160°F (70°C). The loin should still be slightly pink in the centre. Let the meat cool before slicing.
- In a small bowl, combine the basil, parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. This mixture will be sprinkled on each layer of the dish when assembling. Pour 60 ml (1/4 cup) apple juice into a bowl. Sprinkle with the gelatin and let stand to soften for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiling water and stir well to dissolve. Add the remaining apple juice and set aside. Spray a 23 x 13 cm (9 x 5 in.) loaf pan or terrine with non-stick cooking spray. Place a few basil leaves in the bottom of the pan. Cover the bottom with half the cheese, half the zucchini slices, half the veal slices, sprinkling each layer with the herb mixture.
- Add the red peppers, the remaining zucchini slices, veal slices and cheese. Pour the apple juice mixture into the pan. Press lightly so that the apple juice mixture is uniformly distributed.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight. To serve, slide a knife blade between the preparation and the sides of the pan. Place upside down on a flat plate and unmould carefully. Cut into thick slices and serve with crusty bread and pickles.