- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Grease a 23 x 33 cm (9 x 13 in.) baking dish with 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of butter. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs and milk together, then add green onions, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Remove bread crusts and spread one side of bread slices with 15 mL (1 tbsp.) mustard.
- Spread other side of slices with remaining butter.
- Place slices buttered side up in greased baking dish, overlapping them slightly.
- Insert cheese, ham, and spinach between the slices.
- Pour reserved liquid mixture and press with fingers or a spatula so bread absorbs liquid.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bake covered in aluminum foil for 30 to 35 minutes according to baking dish thickness, and another 20 minutes uncovered.
- Then broil for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Serve with maple syrup and a green salad or other to taste.
You can prepare the French toast the day before and keep it in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
To see if the French Toast is cooked, use a knife to pierce the centre.
Recover bread crusts to make bread crumbs. Leave crusts uncovered on the counter for a few days until completely dry, or place them on a baking sheet and bake at 120°C (250°F) until dry.
In a food processor, whiz crusts into crumbs.
Store bread crumbs in an airtight container.