- Preheat the barbecue to medium.
- Wash the potatoes and pierce them in a few spots, then wrap them in aluminum foil and barbecue them for 1 hour until tender.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the pancetta for about 3 minutes until it begins to brown. Add the mushrooms and onions. Lower the heat to medium and let the vegetables cook, without stirring too much, for about 7 or 8 minutes or until well coloured. Add pepper only, as the pancetta is already salted. Mix and set aside.
- Mix the crème fraîche, chives, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Halve the potatoes lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the potatoes’ fluffy insides, leaving ½ cm (¼ in.) around the edges, and place in the bowl with the crème fraîche. Mash the cooked potato with a pestle or fork. Thoroughly incorporate with the crème fraîche and spoon the mixture into the crisp potato skins.
- Garnish each stuffed potato with the vegetable and pancetta mixture. Top with the sharp cheddar.
- Barbecue for 15 minutes or until the cheese is lightly browned and melted.
*Time tip: You can microwave the potatoes to reduce the cooking time. After washing and piercing the potatoes, microwave them for around 8 minutes, turning at the halfway mark, or until the inside is tender.