- Soak 12 wood skewers in water for 1 hour.
- Preheat barbecue on high. In a large bowl, combine garlic, parsley, fennel seeds, lemon juice, hot sauce and olive oil.
- Add vegetables and mix until well coated. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Arrange 4 asparagus stalks side-by-side on work surface.
- Thread first wood skewer sideways through 4 asparagus stalks just under the tip, then thread a second skewer 4 cm (1½ in.) from the base to form a raft shape. Repeat with remaining asparagus.
- Thread 4 new potatoes onto each of the remaining 4 skewers.
Place asparagus skewers, potato skewers and eggplant slices on the grill and cook
- Asparagus for 5 minutes per side
- Potatoes for 8 minutes per side
- Eggplant for 8 minutes per side
Before serving, sprinkle with fleur de sel or coarse salt and season with ground pepper. Serve as a side dish with grilled fish, chicken or meat.
* To cut asparagus stalks, take each stalk by both ends and bend gently.
The stalk will break in the right spot.
Variation: Use the sauce to season barbecued chicken, fish or shrimp.