- Preheat the BBQ on medium (about 200°C / 400°F).
- Scrape the vanilla pod halves with a knife to remove the seeds.
- In a small pot, bring the water, sugar, vanilla seeds, and the pod to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes until syrup thickens. Remove the vanilla pod. Set aside.
- On a clean, floured work surface, roll out the dough into a 28-cm (11-in.) disc.
- Place the pie dough in a 22-cm (9-in.) aluminum pie pan. Let excess dough hang over edges. Prick the surface of the dough all over with a fork. Set aside.
- Mix together the fruit and flour in a bowl. Add reserved vanilla syrup.
- Add fruit filling to the pie shell and fold hanging dough back over top to cover about 5 cm (2 in.) of filling around the entire circumference. Sprinkle dough with raw sugar.
- Cook pie on the barbecue without placing it directly on grill (place the pie pan on an aluminum pan turned upside down) with the lid closed for about 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Keep an eye on the pie while it cooks; temperatures can vary from one barbecue to another, so modify the cooking time if need be. Be careful not to turn the heat up too high, or the crust will cook more quickly than the fruit filling.