Basic vanilla sponge cake
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Line the bottom of two 20-cm (8-in.) spring form pans with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks, half the sugar (125 mL or ½ cup), and vanilla extract together in another bowl until pale. Add water and stir gently.
- Add dry ingredients in three batches, mixing gently with a spatula between each addition. Set aside.
- In another bowl, use electric beaters to beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add in remaining sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold egg white mixture into reserved cake batter with a spatula.
- Divide mixture into the two 20-cm (8-in.) spring form pans. Smooth the batter on top with a spatula.
- Bake on middle rack for 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn upside down on wire rack to cool. Gently remove from pans.