- Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Reserve.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a saucepan. Let the mixture boil 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add diced pineapple and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla bean and strawberries. Allow to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Incorporate basil at the last minute and stir well to blend. Pour into jars. Allow to cool and refrigerate.
Always rinse strawberries before hulling them so that they do not become waterlogged. When jam begins to boil, a foam will quickly rise from the surface. To prevent the mixture from overflowing, simply add a dab of butter to reduce foam.