This recipe is courtesy of LEBON.
- Preheat oven to 230°C (450°F).
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place in a shallow oven-safe dish (drip pan or Pyrex-type glass dish). Add red wine fondue broth.
- Place dish in oven and grill for about 10 minutes on top rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 150°C (300°F).
- Move roast to middle rack and cover with aluminum foil.
- Continue cooking for about 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saucepan and sauté onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add brown sugar and red wine vinegar. Brown for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until onions are golden and there is very little liquid left. Set aside.
- After roast has cooked for 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, add carrots around roast and place caramelized onions on top of meat.
- Cook for another 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes, uncovered, until beef detaches easily with a fork.
- Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve over white pasta or with boiled potatoes.