- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan.
- Cook shallot for 2 minutes, or until translucent. Add carrots and broth, and bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes, or until carrots are cooked through.
- Add beets and continue cooking for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, beat together cream and yogurt until light and smooth.
- Stir in tarragon. Reserve in the refrigerator. Transfer vegetable preparation to a blender jar, or use an immersion blender, and purée soup until smooth and creamy in texture.
- Pour soup into pretty bowls and garnish each with a tablespoonful of creamy tarragon yogurt.
- Sprinkle with julienned carrots and tarragon leaves.
: Replace tinned beets by 4 large fresh beets. Fill a saucepan with water and add 15 mL (1 tbsp.) balsamic vinegar; bring to a boil over high heat. Add beets and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high. Cover and cook for 90 minutes, or until beets are tender. Let cool and then peel.
: For a cocktail party snack, serve this soup in small glasses (verrines).