Berry sponge cake with citrus and mascarpone cream
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- In a bowl, sift the fl our and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks until they turn pale. Gradually add sugar, beating the mixture thoroughly as you go.
- Add lemon juice, water, and half of the citrus zests.
- Incorporate dry ingredients in three stages, using a spatula to carefully mix between stages. Set aside.
- In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Incorporate the reserved mixture by carefully mixing with a spatula.
- Pour the mixture into three non-greased 20 cm (8 in.) cake pans.
- Bake on the lower rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool upside down on a rack. To remove from pan, slide a knife blade around the edge of the cake and carefully remove from pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl (preferably glass or metal), use an electric mixer to whip the cream, sugar and vanilla until the mixture doubles in volume and becomes light and airy. Add mascarpone cheese and remaining citrus zests. Mix carefully with a spatula.
- Place one of the cakes on a cake plate. Spread 1/3 of the cream mixture followed by 1/3 of the berries over the cake. Cover with second cake. Repeat process and cover with third cake. Top with remaining cream mixture and berries.