- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Season chicken breasts on both sides with pepper.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in an ovenproof pan. Sear chicken breasts for about 1 minute on each side, or until they are golden. Remove from pan and reserve.
- Add onion to pan and sauté, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes or until lightly golden. Add 30 mL (2 tablespoons) water, scraping brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place chicken breasts on the bed of onions and cover; cook in oven for about 20 minutes, or until meat is no longer pink inside and internal temperature reaches 82°C (180°F). Season with salt to taste.
- In the meantime, bring cherry juice to a boil in a small saucepan. Add chocolate; reduce heat to low and stir until chocolate is melted. Add cherries and vanilla and allow sauce to simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in cream and allow to simmer for about 2 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Keep warm.
- Serve chicken breasts on onions with the Black Forest chocolate sauce.
: You'll likely have leftover sauce. It will taste just as delicious on ice cream for dessert!