Braised pork with red beer
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Finely slice 2 cloves of garlic; make small slits in the meat with the tip of a knife and insert the garlic slices and the cloves.
- Dredge meat in flour and brown in a skillet with some oil. Place meat in an ovenproof Dutch oven.
- In the same skillet, sauté onions for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the beer and beef stock. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer stock and onions to the Dutch oven. Add remaining whole garlic cloves, carrots, and rutabaga. Season and add thyme sprigs.
- Bake for 2½ hours. Baste the meat a few times during cooking.
- Add mushrooms and continue baking for 1 hour or until the internal temperature reaches 65°C (150°F). Transfer the meat and to a serving dish and cover it with foil wrap. The internal temperature should increase to 70°C (158°F) as it sits.
- Meanwhile, heat the sauce and vegetables, add the diluted cornstarch, bring to a boil, and simmer until thickened.
- Serve slices of meat with mashed potatoes, vegetables, and sauce.