- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Season both sides of roast with 7 mL (1 ¼ tsp.) of salt and then sprinkle with flour.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the oil and brown the roast 3 minutes on each side.
- Remove roast from saucepan and add onion and celery.
- Add 5 mL (1 tsp.) of salt, season with pepper, and brown meat, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brush both sides of roast with mustard.
- Add apple juice, fresh thyme, water, and butter.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and bake in oven for 2 to 2 ½ hours*. Add liquid as needed while cooking.
- Remove roast from the oven let cool uncovered.
- Remove fat and tendons and then separate meat into big pieces.
- Return meat to sauce and serve.
Mix together all ingredients in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning, as needed.
*After meat has cooked for two hours, verify its tenderness.
Some parts of roast cook more quickly than other parts.
Remove them if necessary and continue cooking the rest.
To serve, separate into 4 servings and top with garnish.
Accompany with mashed potatoes and carrots.
This dish is even better the next day. Reheat the meat slowly in the sauce.