- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- In a large ovenproof skillet with a lid, sauté pancetta over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add pieces of hare and sear for 2 minutes per side, or until nicely golden. Remove hare and pancetta from skillet and reserve.
- Cook pearl onions, fennel quarters, and carrots in the same skillet for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add chicken bouillon, mustard, and reserved hare and pancetta mixture to pan, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well and cover. Cook in the oven for about 2 hours, or until vegetables are tender and the meat flakes easily with a fork. Baste meat regularly with bouillon during cooking to prevent it from drying out.
- Serve hare and vegetables on a bed of fresh pasta with bouillon spooned over top. Sprinkle with fennel or dill.
*Chef’s secret: The best method for peeling pearl onions is to plunge them into a pan of boiling water for 30 seconds, drain, and then cool under cold running water. Using a paring knife, cut off ends and peel. Easy as anything!