- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
- Coat in flour and shake off excess.
- Heat an ovenproof pan over medium-high heat and pour in oil. When hot, sear shanks on all sides for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden. Add chopped garlic and rosemary.
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Add white wine and 250 mL (1 cup) veal stock, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and bake shanks for about 2 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more veal stock if the dish seems dry.
- In a mortar, combine red wine vinegar, anchovy fillets, and garlic cloves, and crush with pestle into a paste.
- Add garlic and anchovy paste to shanks and stir to combine.
- Continue baking until shanks are tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour according to the size of the shanks.
- Internal temperature should reach 70°C (160°F).
- Transfer meat to a serving dish. Skim off excess fat from cooking juices. For a thicker sauce, bring cooking juices to a boil over medium-high heat and reduce for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drizzle lamb with sauce. Garnish with lemon zest and chopped parsley, and serve.
If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, finely cut garlic and anchovy fillets, and then mix with vinegar.