- Rub veal chops with the garlic. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Heat 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, lightly salt, and cook 15 minutes.
- Add half the butter, orange zest and juice, and continue cooking about 10 minutes until fennel is tender and a little liquid remains. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add chopped parsley if using and keep warm.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet and fry veal chops over high heat 3 minutes per side.
- Remove chops and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining butter over medium heat and cook shallots until softened.
- To serve, place a serving of braised fennel, a veal chop, and some shallots on each plate.
- Garnish with Italian parsley and orange zest, if using.
- Accompany with a baby spinach salad or mashed potatoes.
Trim the fennel:
Cut upper stalks. Remove outer stalks if withered, or use a vegetable peeler to peel the outside of the bulb and remove outer filaments.
Cut fennel stalks and store in the freezer in a resealable bag so you can add them to broth. Use leafy fronds in salads, with vegetables, or on fish.