Braised veal cross-rib roast from Stefano Faita
- Preheat oven to 160˚C (325˚F).
- Heat oil in a braiser and brown the veal cross-rib roast on all sides. Set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery to the same braiser. Sauté vegetables for a few minutes and season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste and then the flour. Stir about 2 minutes and avoid burning the mixture.
- Deglaze with red wine and reduce for about 5 minutes.
- Add the veal stock and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Add the whole garlic cloves, rosemary, and bay leaves, and then simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Return veal to braiser and place in oven for about 2 hours or until meat shreds easily.
- Add the rutabaga for the last 30 minutes of cooking and the chunks of cabbage for the final 15 minutes.
- When cooked, remove all the vegetables and strain the sauce.
- Serve veal and vegetables topped with sauce. Simply delicious!