Braised wapiti roast with prunes and rosemary
- Preheat oven to 135°C (275°F).
- Pour beef consommé into a bowl and add prunes. Macerate for 30 minutes. Heat duck fat in a small roasting pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper on all sides and then sear for about 2 minutes per side.
- Reserve. Add onions to the roasting pan and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft and just golden.
- Stir in vinegar and maple syrup. Continue cooking for 2 minutes, or until liquid has completely evaporated.
- Add beef consommé along with prunes and place wapiti roast on top. Place rosemary sprigs on the roast. Cover and braise meat in the oven for 1 hour, or until internal temperature indicates 68°C (155°F). Remove from oven and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Serve roast in slices, spooning onion sauce over top, and garnish with prunes. Serve with potato mousseline and buttered asparagus.