- Bring 1.5 L (6 cups) water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add potatoes and cook for about 12 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Check doneness by pricking the largest potato with a fork.
- Drain potatoes and let cool completely to be able to handle.
- Cut potatoes into uniform cubes of about 2.5 cm (1 inch). If they are not the same size, they will not cook evenly.
- Heat oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic, and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add cubed potatoes, parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, pepper and a little parmesan to skillet. Stir lightly to spread seasoning evenly.
- Cook potatoes for about 3 minutes per side, turning gently with a spatula. Shake skillet occasionally to prevent them from burning. They should be nicely golden colour on all sides.
- Remove from heat.
- Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle on parmesan to taste.
To add even more flavour, cook potatoes in chicken bouillon instead of water. You can keep the bouillon to make a good homemade soup.