- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Combine all stuffing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add meat and mix well.
- Cook a small amount of the stuffing; taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cut off the cabbage base and remove 12 leaves with a knife.
- Remove or trim the centre rib of each leaf if too thick.
- Blanch leaves in 3 batches for 2 to 3 minutes in a pot of boiling salted water.
- Drain leaves and spread out on a large platter. Allow to cool.
- Blot leaves dry. Place 60 mL (¼ cup) stuffing at the base of each leaf. Roll up, folding in sides.
- Spread tomato sauce and beef bouillon (if sauce too thick) across the bottom of a 22.5 x 32.5 cm (9 X 13 inch) baking dish.
- Season and add olive oil, if desired.
- Arrange rolls on sauce in a single row. Season with pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and broil dish for 5 to 7 minutes to brown top.
- Serve 2 to 3 rolls with tomato sauce per person, along with rice, mashed potatoes, or a green salad on the side.
To use up all the cabbage, cut the core into ribbons and gently braise in olive oil and butter. Season with salt and pepper, and add a few spoonfuls of water to finish cooking.
Serve as a side dish with the rolls.