- Slice carrots using a mandoline slicer. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot, boil the water, vinegar, rice vinegar, salt, sugar, and coriander seeds over medium-high heat. Boil until the sugar is dissolved (about 3 minutes).
- 3. Sterilize the jars for 5 minutes in boiling water, then fill with alternate layers of sliced carrot and sliced ginger.
- Pour the water/vinegar/sugar mixture into the jars up to 1 cm (½ in.) from the rim. Remove any air bubbles using a rubber spatula.
- Seal the jars and sterilize in boiling water for 15 minutes. For more details, see the Chef's secret section on the back.
Marinated carrots are a delicious accompaniment for grilled meat, in a banh mi sandwich, and in Asian salads.
This recipe's acidity level means it can be canned using the boiling water technique.
- Sterilize jars by immersing in boiling water for about 5 minutes. The lids must be new
to ensure a proper seal. Soak lids in hot water before using.
- Fill jars, leaving a headspace of about 1 cm (½ in.).
- Place lids and screw bands on jars but do not over-tighten.
- Immerse jars in boiling water and boil for at least 15 minutes.
- Remove jars from water and let rest for 24 hours. The lids will be depressed
and make a sudden popping noise when the seal is tight.
- The jars can be stored for one year in a dark, dry, cool place.