- Soak cedar planks in water for 3 to 4 hours. Place cans of food on top to hold planks underwater for the entire soaking time.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, orange zest, lemon zest and 60 mL (1/4 cup) fresh basil. Reserve.
- In a shallow dish, mix together honey, orange and lemon juice, remaining basil, oil, garlic and green onion. Coat mahi-mahi steaks with this mixture and place in a shallow dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, turning steaks once during this time.
- Preheat barbecue to medium heat. Rub the smooth side of the planks with half of the salt blend and place fish on top. Set planks on barbecue grill, about 20 cm (8 inches) from flames.
- Close lid and cook mahi-mahi for 20 to 25 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with a fork and is opaque.
- At serving time, sprinkle reserved salt blend onto fish and decorate with a whole basil leaf. Serve with orange and lemon slices, basmati rice and a green vegetable.
This recipe can be prepared with any citrus fruit. Replace the lemon zest and juice with lime, mandarin or even pink grapefruit!