- Preheat oven to 140°C (275°F). Using a cloth moistened with white vinegar, wipe a large bowl, the beaters of an electric mixer, and a rubber spatula to remove any trace of fat that would prevent egg whites from forming meringue. Reserve.
- With a pencil, draw 6 circles measuring 7.5 cm (3 in.) diameter on parchment paper. Turn paper over and place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix white wine vinegar with cornstarch. In reserved large bowl using electric mixer, beat egg whites and a pinch of salt on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Beat in sugar, one spoon at a time, until medium peaks form.
- Add cornstarch and vinegar mixture and continue beating until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Use the rubber spatula to gently fold cocoa powder into egg whites.
- Spread meringue by the spoonful onto the parchment paper, filling in the circles. Lightly flatten the middle of each circle.
- Use a little meringue to stick the four corners of the parchment paper to the baking sheet.
- Bake 30 minutes in the centre of oven. Turn off oven and let meringue cool 45 minutes in the oven with the door ajar.
TOPPING AND ASSEMBLY
- Whip cream, adding sugar to taste. (If you like, prepare the whipped cream one hour ahead of time and store in fridge to make assembly easier.)
- Spread whipped cream onto centre of each pavlova.
- Top with berries and grated or shaved chocolate.
Meringues can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 48 hours in a dry environment.
To prevent waste, crush remaining meringue and add to yogurt or whipped cream, along with fruit.