Chocolate cake with buttercream and nutty praline
White chocolate buttercream
- Preheat oven to 165°C (325°F) and butter and flour two 23 cm (9 in.) spring form pans.
- In a bowl, beat the cake mix with the eggs, water, and oil until smoothly blended. Pour mixture into pans and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of cakes comes out clean. Let cool completely before removing from pan.
Nutty cranberry praline
- Place egg yolks in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring brown sugar and water to a boil and stir gently. Let simmer about 5 minutes or until mixture becomes a thick syrup.
- Drizzle the hot syrup onto the eggs while beating at medium speed until completely cooled, about 15 minutes. Next add cubes of butter one at a time until mixture is creamy, and then add vanilla. Use a spatula to gently fold in the shaved chocolate.
- Mix all ingredients in a saucepan over high heat, stirring until brown sugar crystalizes. Spread the mixture onto parchment paper and allow to cool completely. Chop coarsely with a knife.
- Place one cake on cake plate. Spread the buttercream and half the praline mixture over top of the cake, and then place the second cake on top. Using a sieve, generously sprinkle the top of the cake with icing sugar and then top with the remaining praline. Refrigerate 30 minutes before serving.