This recipe is courtesy of Robin Hood.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Grease two round 23-cm (9-in.) cake pans.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Beat butter in a separate mixing bowl using an electric mixer. Add brown sugar and eggs, beating until light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and cooled chocolate.
- Add reserved dry ingredients to chocolate mixture alternately with sour cream beating on low speed just until batter is smooth.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Divide batter evenly into prepared baking pans.
- Bake 25 to 28 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool on wire cooling racks 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and continue cooling on rack. Do not ice cake until completely cooled.
- Cream butter and cream cheese in the large bowl of an electric mixer until combined. Add 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of milk at a time to thin out icing, if necessary. Fold in crushed peppermint.
- Add icing sugar, 250 mL (1 cup) at a time. Beat well after each addition. Continue beating until fluffy.
- Add 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of milk at a time to thin out icing, if necessary. Fold in crushed candy canes.
- Place one layer on serving dish. Spread with about 250 to 375 mL (1 to 1½ cups) icing. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides with remaining icing. Icing will act as a glue to stick the candy around the sides.
- Place candy canes around cake. Tie ribbon around cake if desired! Refrigerate until ready to serve.