Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Bring 125 mL (1/2 cup) water to a boil in a saucepan.
- Add half of prunes and stir well. Reduce heat to medium and cook prunes, stirring, for about 5 minutes or until a smooth puree is obtained.
- Pour into a bowl and reserve.
- In the same casserole, cleaned, bring 250 mL (1 cup) water to a boil.
- Add teabag, 15 mL (1 tbsp.) sugar, cinnamon stick and orange peel. Infuse for 2 minutes. Remove teabag, cinnamon stick and orange peel.
- Add remaining prunes and apricots. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, or the syrup has plumped the fruit.
- Remove from heat; cover and reserve.
- In a bowl, stir together flour, remaining sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and chopped chocolate. Reserve.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs, prune purée, milk, margarine and vanilla. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until batter is smooth and blended. Pour into a greased loaf pan measuring 22 cm x 11.5 cm x 6.5 cm (8½ in. x 4½ in. x 2½ in.).
- Bake in the oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Serve one slice of chocolate loaf per person, along with poached fruit and a scoop of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt.
: Just before serving, cover the top of cooled chocolate loaf with mocha-flavoured yogurt, a quick and healthy topping when you're short on time.