- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a 53 cm x 38 cm (21 in. x 15 in.) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and cocoa powder into a small bowl. Reserve.
- In a very large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs, egg yolks, 250 mL (1 cup) sugar (200 g or 7 oz.), and honey in a large bowl until batter is foamy.
- In a second large bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Incorporate 60 mL (1/4 cup) sugar in small amounts, beating constantly, until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter with a spatula, and then incorporate dry ingredients in the same way.
- Pour batter into baking sheet and bake in oven for about 10 minutes. Tip cake onto a sheet of parchment paper and cover with a damp cloth to prevent from drying.
- Bring water and sugar to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat until syrupy in texture. Whisk in cocoa powder. Allow to cool.
- Place dark chocolate and milk chocolate in a large bowl. Reserve.
- Heat cream, milk, and honey in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat until simmering. Pour hot liquid onto reserved chocolate. Wait 2 minutes and then stir until smooth.
- Incorporate butter into icing and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
* Tip: Prepare icing the day before and remove from fridge 1 hour before using.
Alunga Chantilly cream
- Place chocolate in a large bowl. Reserve.
- Bring 125 mL (½ cup) cream and corn syrup to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
- Pour hot liquid onto chocolate in bowl. Wait 2 minutes, and then mix with an immersion blender.
- Incorporate remaining 345 mL (1 1/4 cups + 3 tbsp.) cream, a little at a time, still blending. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
- Just before using cream, whisk into the texture of whipped cream.
Fine dark chocolate flakes
- Melt chocolate in double boiler until it reaches 45°C (113°F). Let cool to 34°C (93°F).
- Incorporate Mycryo cocoa butter.
- Spread a very thin layer of melted chocolate onto a sheet of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Let it set and then gently break into flakes.
- With a pastry brush, cover the entire surface of cake with chocolatey syrup.
- Spread icing over entire surface of cake.
- Using parchment paper, roll cake lengthwise to form a tight log. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Spoon Alunga Chantilly cream over top. (See steps 11 to 15 above.) Garnish with chocolate flakes, and dust with cocoa powder and icing sugar, if desired.
Since baking requires accurate measurements, weighing ingredients on a kitchen scale is recommended.
From Cacao Barry