This recipe is courtesy of Fantino & Mondello.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and gently scrape out the inside flesh with a coffee spoon, leaving 1 cm (½ in.) all around. Set flesh aside for future use.
- Sauté diced chorizo and shallots in olive oil for a few minutes.
- Stuff inside of each hollowed zucchini with mixture and add just enough salsa to coat. Top with cheese.
- Place stuffed vegetables on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until zucchini are tender and cheese has melted. Poke zucchini with a knife to check for tenderness.
- Serve as a side dish with meat.
For a spicier version, use hot salsa. The chorizo's flavour melds perfectly with the heat of a spicier sauce.
If you have Fantino & Mondello's Dry Chorizo Sausages at home, cut these into halved slices as a substitute for diced chorizo.
Fantino & Mondello Salami Cacciatore would also be delicious in this recipe!
Freeze reserved zucchini flesh and add to your next soup recipe.