- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Spoon 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of cake batter in 2 lightly greased muffin pans of 12 muffins each.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely.
- Cut in half.
- Put half-cupcakes back in muffin pans and cover with ice cream that has been softened to room temperature for about 15 minutes.
- Freeze for at least one hour. Remove cupcakes from pan and place in freezer.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8 with remaining cupcakes.
- When ready to serve, place cupcakes onto a serving dish.
- Garnish with whipped cream and flaked coconut. Serve immediately.
If the yield of cupcakes is too high, bake 12 only. Then bake the rest of the cake batter in a cake pan and freeze for later use.
To vary colours and flavours, try cherry, raspberry, or mint ice cream.