- In a saucepan over medium heat, dissolve sugar in water.
- Add ginger and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to steep for 1½ hours. For a less pronounced taste, remove ginger from syrup by filtering it before bringing to room temperature.
- In the meantime, cut citrus fruit into segments and place in large bowl.
- Use the required amount of chilled syrup to dress the citrus salad and toss well. Refrigerate.
- At serving time, divide citrus salad into individual bowls and garnish with pomegranate arils, if using.
Try different varieties of citrus fruit to make your salad.
Chef ’s secret
How to cut citrus fruit into segments
Use a sharp knife to cut away the peel and white pith from the citrus fruit, cutting as close as possible to the flesh so no white pith remains. Next, run knife blade between the thin membranes that separate each section to remove segments. Reserve the flesh and juice.