Classic scalloped potatoes
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Add the milk, cream, garlic, onion, bay leaves, thyme, and nutmeg to a large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes. Keep warm.
- In a large 20-cm (8-in.) square baking dish, place a first layer of potato slices, overlapping them slightly. Repeat to make layers. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pass the cream mixture through a strainer and then pour it over the potatoes. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve scalloped potatoes as a side dish for grilled meat.