Cod brandade from Christian Bégin
- Place cod in a medium saucepan and cover with milk, adjusting the quantity if necessary.
- Add bay leaves. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Drain cod, reserving milk. Flake cod coarsely.
- Heat 30 mL (2 tbsp.) olive oil in a heavy-bottomed medium saucepan. Cook cod, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
- Add remaining oil and continue to stir until fish is broken into strands.
- Add garlic and paprika.
- Add 80 mL (⅓ cup) reserved cooking milk, lemon juice, and mashed potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and mix well until mixture is very hot.
- Adjust texture by adding olive oil or cooking milk, if need be, so that mixture is smooth and not too thick.
- Add parsley. Divide mixture among four ramekins.
- Place a dab of butter on each serving. Broil in oven until a slight crust forms on each serving.
- Serve with wilted spinach or oven-roasted root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, and onions).