- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Place flour in a freezer bag. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place chicken thighs in bag and seal shut. Shake to coat meat well with flour mixture, and then transfer chicken thighs to plate, shaking off excess flour. Reserve.
- Heat duck fat in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, and cook chicken thighs for 2 minutes per side, or until golden.
- Add garlic, red wine, demiglace sauce and bouquet garni. Bring to a boil; cover and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Add carrots, onions and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 30 minutes, or until chicken pulls apart easily with a fork, and vegetables are cooked but still slightly crisp. Serve with mashed potatoes.
* To make a bouquet garni, place several sprigs of parsley, one or two thyme branches and a bay leaf on a stalk of celery. Tie in place with string.
Variation: Duck fat can be used in many ways. For a delectable treat, sauté chunks of potato or other vegetables in duck fat. Add garlic, shallot and fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.