Country-style Pâté with Pistachios and Cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 325˚F (160˚C). Cook the spinach in a large nonstick pan on medium-high for 2 minutes or until they wilt. Drain, remove from the pan and set aside.
- Using the same pan, cook the onion, ground beef and ground veal on medium-high for 10 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink inside. Remove from the heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- Purée the cooked meat, along with the milk and egg whites, in a food processor. Add the bread crumbs, pistachios, cranberries, crushed peppercorns and paprika. Add salt. Pulse until the ingredients are combined thoroughly.
- Line a loaf pan with greased aluminum foil, leaving enough foil around the edges to fold over the top. Pour half the mixture into the pan. Spread the spinach on top, then cover with the rest of the meat mixture and fold over the aluminum foil.
- Place the loaf pan in a larger oven-safe pan and pour approximately 2.5 cm (1 in.) hot water into the outer pan. Cook for 1 1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 170˚F (77˚C).
- Let stand for 30 minutes, then refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight. Remove from the pan and slice.