- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Butter two baking pans 22 cm (9 in.) in diameter. In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside. In another bowl, combine buttermilk and cream. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with 250ml (1 cup) of sugar. Add vanilla extract, eggs one by one and chocolate melted in the top of a double boiler. Beat again.
- Fold dry mixture with liquid mixture, alternating as follows: one-third dry ingredients, one-half liquid ingredients, one-third dry ingredients, one-half liquid ingredients and one-third dry ingredients.
- Pour equal amounts of resulting batter into the 2 baking pans and bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and remove from pans. Cut cakes in half horizontally.
- Heat water, cranberries and remaining sugar in a saucepan until simmering. Whip cream and icing sugar in a bowl. Spread first cake layer with one-third of syrup and cranberry mixture and cover with one-fifth of whipped cream mixture.
- Place a second cake layer on top and repeat, finishing with a layer of whipped cream on top and sides of cake. Garnish with cranberries and dark chocolate chips.
: Do you like this holiday dessert idea but are a little short on time?
Buy a commercially prepared chocolate cake to speed things up!