- Preheat oven broiler. Brush oysters under cold running water. Using a solid knife, open the oysters; remove shell shards and juice. Discard top shells. Slide knife blade under oysters to loosen from bottom shells.
- Cover the bottom of a large ovenproof dish with coarse salt. Nestle oysters in the salt so that they remain upright. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté shallot for about 2 minutes. Pour in white wine and bring to boil.
- Cook for about 15 minutes, or until wine is reduced by half. Add lemon zest, thyme and cream. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Spoon 15 mL (1 tbsp.) sauce over each oyster and sprinkle with Parmesan. Broil oysters for about 3 minutes, or until cheese is just barely golden. Decorate each oyster with a small sprig of thyme and serve with crusty bread and a green salad.
: Replace lemon zest by lime zest and thyme by coriander.