Cream of tomato soup au gratin with Oka and spicy sausage
- In a skillet, heat 45 mL (3 tbsp.) of the vegetable oil. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrot, and sweat them, coating them well with oil. Let soften without browning over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add red wine and reduce until almost dry.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, and herbs, season with salt, and bring to a boil while stirring. Cook at a low boil for 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Purée in a blender until smooth, add in ground pepper, adjust seasoning, and set aside.
- In a small non-stick skillet, melt the butter in remaining oil. When butter has melted, add bread cubes, moving them around without stopping so they become well coated with butter. Cook until golden brown. Remove from heat and set on absorbent paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine grated cheese, the dry sausage, and orange zest. Spoon cream of tomato soup into four oven-safe bowls (e.g. onion soup bowls). Cover with cheese mixture and place under the broiler until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, drop a handful of croutons on top of hot cheese, and serve immediately.