- In a stainless steel or Pyrex bowl, whisk together egg yolks and salt. Reserve.
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until hot. Pour gradually over egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Transfer mixture to saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring regularly, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until mixture has thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat.
- Place butterscotch chips in a second stainless steel or Pyrex bowl. Filter milk mixture through a fine strainer onto butterscotch chips. Stir until the chips have melted completely. Add vanilla and stir. Allow mixture to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whip cream with an electric beater until firm peaks form. Using a spatula, fold (gently lift to incorporate) about one third of whipped cream into butterscotch mixture. Incorporate remaining whipped cream in the same manner, until the mixture becomes even in colour.
- Coarsely chop half of toffee chocolate and add to butterscotch mixture. Add pecans and gently combine. Divide mixture among chocolate cups and refrigerate for 1 hour. Decorate cups with remaining chocolate, cut in chunks, as well as with pecans and quarter strawberries.
Variation: Replace butterscotch chips with bittersweet chocolate and crunchy toffee bars with almond chocolate.