- Heat oven to 180˚C (350°F).
- Place paper baking cups in 24 regular-size muffin tins.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and 1 egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Stir in 250 mL (1 cup) of the chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, and 3 eggs on medium speed for 2 minutes. Divide batter into muffin cups (60 mL / ¼ cup in each). Garnish each cupcake with 5 mL (1 tsp.) cream cheese mixture.
- Bake 21 to 27 minutes or until tops spring back when pressed lightly. Cool in muffin tins for 10 minutes; remove to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes. Decorate with remaining chocolate chips. Store loosely covered in refrigerator.
If you have only one 12-cup muffin tin, cover and refrigerate the rest of the batter and filling mixture while baking the first batch. Cool the muffin tin for about 15 minutes; bake remainder, adding 1 to 2 minutes to baking time.