Dark chocolate cake with frosted cranberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line the bottoms of two 23-cm (9-inch) cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. In a small bowl, combine oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add oil mixture and water to the dry ingredients and beat for about 1 minute or until batter is smooth. Pour batter into the two cake pans.
- Bake for about 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cakes cool for 10 minutes, and then remove from pans and cool completely on a rack.
- Cook cranberry and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat until cranberries soften and the mixture resembles jam in texture, about 10 minutes.
- Place chocolate in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring cream and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Pour mixture over chocolate and let it melt for one minute.
- Whisk chocolate and cream mixture until smooth.
- Stir in butter; cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, until spreadable.
- Combine water and egg white in a bowl. Add cranberries and toss to coat.
- Spread sugar over a baking sheet. Roll cranberries in the sugar. Allow a few minutes for the sugar to set before handling berries.
- Place one cake on a serving plate. Spread cranberry jam on top, and then place second cake over top. Ice both cakes with the chocolate ganache. Decorate the cake with frosted cranberries.