- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F).
- Place pears in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix well. Set aside.
- Fry lardoons until golden brown in a large skillet over medium heat. Set lardoons and a bit of the cooking fat aside.
- Fry the onion for a few minutes in same skillet.
- Add reserved pears and caramelize. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Still using same skillet, fry mushrooms, adding a little oil if needed.
- Add potatoes and fry quickly. Set aside.
- Evenly divide the duck thigh confit meat, followed by the mushroom and potato mixture into the bottom of four small, cast-iron casserole dishes.
- Do the same with the pear and onion mixture.
- Sprinkle on reserved lardoons.
- Pour 60 mL (¼ cup) of cream into each casserole dish.
- Top each casserole with 60 mL (¼ cup) Swiss Gruyère cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Place under the broiler for about 1 minute so cheese is nicely melted.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with sage and drizzle with a little maple syrup. Accompany with buttered green beans or grilled cauliflower.
To make deboning easier, heat the duck thighs for a few seconds in microwave.