Adaptation of the winning recipe from the Fou du fromage contest, summer 2016
- Seed tomatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Melt butter in a medium-size skillet set over medium heat and sweat the shallots for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, brown sugar, and garlic and cook vegetables at a simmer until nicely stewed. Set aside.
- Put the blueberries, sugar, and water into a small saucepan over medium heat and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Purée the mixture in a food processor and then pass it through a strainer. Set aside.
Fried Le Mont-Jacob cheese and duck confit:
- Chop the duck meat and duck fat in a food processor using the pulse option.
- Cut the cheese into 8 equal sticks (about 25 g/ slightly less than 1 oz. ea.) then coat them with duck mixture.
- Transfer cheese sticks onto a parchment-line baking sheet and refrigerate until fat has hardened, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer to 180⁰C (350⁰F).
- Coat the sticks by dipping them in the flour, beaten egg, and finally the breadcrumbs.
- Fry sticks in the deep fryer for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Place some tomato sauce in the centre of 4 plates and spread it out a bit.
- Add two fried sticks to each one and drizzle with 15 mL (1 tbsp.) of blueberry coulis.
- Garnish with a few sprouts, if using.