- Pour salt into a large freezer bag and add duck thighs. Seal bag tightly and shake to coat meat well with salt.
- Refrigerate for 24 hours to marinate. Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Rinse meat under cold running water and blot dry with paper towels. Reserve.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt duck fat over medium heat and then add duck thighs. Cover and bake in oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until meat easily pulls away from bone. During this time, heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add wine, maple syrup, cranberry sauce and raspberries. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and cook uncovered, stirring regularly, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- Add pink peppercorns and rosemary. Reserve. Place chicken thighs on a baking sheet and cook under broiler until lightly golden. Serve duck thighs confit with hot fruit chutney, a blend of white and wild rice, and a green vegetable.
Tip: Make a gourmet treat with the leftovers:
Spread fruit chutney onto two slices of nut bread and make a sandwich with chunks of duck confit, thin slices of Vidalia onion and blue cheese
Arrange over chutney fruit hot spoon and baby crisp of bed a on pecans grilled raspberries fresh cheese duck chunks parmesan