- In a 22.5-cm (9-in.) skillet, toast cumin seeds over medium heat for 1 minute, watching to make sure they don’t burn.
- Add olive oil, onion, and bell pepper, and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, hot pepper (if using), and salt. Cook 2 more minutes; then add tomato sauce and chorizo (if using). Let simmer over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally (sauce should thicken slightly).
- Season with pepper.
- Crack room temperature eggs, sliding them gently over sauce. Take care not to break the yolks. Season eggs with salt and pepper. Spread feta cheese around eggs.
- Cover and let simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately, placing the skillet directly on the table. Top with fresh herbs, and serve with toasted bread and a drizzle of olive oil.
For perfectly cooked eggs, the trick is to bring them to room temperature before cracking.