- Heat oven to 220°C (425°F).
- In a 23 cm (9 in.) square baking dish, combine coconut milk, half of brown sugar, as well as star anise, papaya and mango.
- Set aside. Place grated coconut, flour, butter, remaining brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt in a bowl. Work fat into dry ingredients with fingers until crumbly.
- Sprinkle mixture over fruit until almost completely covered. Bake in middle of oven for 30 to 35 minutes until topping is golden.
- Serve with vanilla yogurt if desired and a fresh mint leaf.
Variation: Replace star anise with the seeds from a fresh vanilla bean.